This week, Daniel and Monty sit down with actor, writer, producer, stand-up comic, social media manager, and yoga teacher Rachel Schmeling, who played Juliet in our summer 2019 production of Romeo and Juliet. Follow Rachel @rachelmschmeling on Instagram or visit her website, rachelschmeling.com.
- Finding a physical practice like Yoga to invigorate your acting
- How Yoga can enrich the breath work of vocal training systems like Linklater or Fitzmaurice
- How it can take years for a lesson to really click and settle in
- How to say “yes” to stillness in order to avoid burnout
- The value of keeping a Gratitude Journal
- Meditation in elementary schools
- The value of not leaving your “baggage” outside the rehearsal room but instead bringing your full experience into the room
- Check-ins and giving actors a daily opportunity to express their access needs
- The importance of building real-life trust and bonds with on-stage families
- Help us get Levar Burton on the show with our newest hashtag, #ThisBurtonO
Each week, Daniel & Monty share recommendations of something they are watching, reading, or listening to. This week, Daniel suggests The Hulu Series This Way Up written by and starring Aisling Bea, and Monty suggests Levar Burton’s video series This Is My Story on YouTube.
Music is by Kara Arena, Master of Music for Rude Grooms. Follow us @thiswoodeno on Twitter and Instagram, visit us on the web at thiswoodeno.com, like us at facebook.com/thiswoodenopod/, or support us on Patreon (patreon.com/rudegrooms) to join the conversation during livestream broadcasts of every episode.
This week’s shoutouts & further reading include:
- Junior Players
- Shakespeare Dallas
- Rude Grooms’ Romeo & Juliet
- Hedgepig Ensemble Theatre
- Bread and Yoga Harlem
- New York Yoga
- George Lucas in Love on YouTube